Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:45:11 +0000
From: Johannes Moerschner <jmoersc@gwdg.de>
To: "Sustainable Agriculture List, SUSTAG" <sustag-public@ces.ncsu.edu>,
    "London, Lawrence F. Jr., VENAURA FARM, U.S." <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
Subject: energy accounting in livestock farming

dear adressees and "sust. agr. list" members,

doing an extended internet research on energy accounting, energy
balances, energy inputs in livestock farming etc. I stumbled into some
exchanges of information about "energy and agricultural activities",
done in the early 1995 by most of you as contributors giving the one or
other hint within this topic or doing a request on it.

Out of this reason I am going to ask you and all the other members of
the sust. agr. mailing lists (SANET and SUSTAG) for your kind help in
this matters, though your postings have been done nearly three years
ago. Never the less I expect, some of you will be still involved in
researches on this field?!

Let me introduce myself with some words:

Working already for about two years on energy accounting and energy
balances in arable farming I am now actualy doing a study for the German
KTBL (Kuratorium für Technik und Bauwesen in der Landwirtschaft) on
available literature, projects and data bases in connection to energy
accounting and energy balances in livestock farming. The idea is to
compose a list of current/still actual studies, activities, data bases
and publications connected to energy inputs in livestock farming, as
extended as possible. For the KTBL this will be the starting point to
develope own approaches towards a methodology of energetical
calculations in livestock farming for application on all kinds of animal
production systems (cattle, swine, poultry etc.)

I know about some "classic" publications on energy aspects of
agriculture in the U.S., some of them often quoted also in German
studies:

Pimentel 1980: Handbook of Energy Utilization in Agriculture
Fluck and Baird, 1980: Agricultural Energetics
Fluck, 1992: Energy in Farm Production
Helsel, 1987: Energy in Plant Nutrition and Pest Control
Pimentel and Hall, 1984: Food and Energy Resources
Stout, 1990: Handbook of Energy for World Agriculture

So I think I got a rather good overview on background and general
principles of energy calculations in the U.S. related to agricultural
production. But I am looking now for some more detailed - and perhaps
more actual - studies or articles including explanations/discussions on
methods of energetical valuation of single input factors (buildings,
machinery, animal food etc.) in livestock farming. Also descriptions of
the methods of energetical calculations for different kinds of livestock
farming in total (system borders, which inputs are included/excluded,
how are they calculated, how is the complete calculation processed?
etc.) are highly appreciated.

Maybe that you know about such studies or that there are working
students of your University or some scientists of your Department in
this field of research?

I just tried already to get in touch with the mentioned U.S. experts on
energy accounting in agriculture, too, but usualy this is always somehow
difficult because of their time limits!

Please share your knowledge on this topic with me!

Kind regards

Johannes Moerschner
Dipl.-Ing.agr. Johannes Moerschner
Forschungs- und Studienzentrum Landwirtschaft und Umwelt
(Research Center Agriculture and the Environment)
UNIVERSITY OF GOETTINGEN, Germany
Am Vogelsang 6, D - 37075 Göttingen, Germany

e-mail: jmoersc.gwdg.de
Tel: +49-551-39 93 41              Fax: +49-551-39 22 95

More about my interests on internet:
Institute-homepage Agrartechnik: http://gwdu19.gwdg.de/~uaat/
Project description in German on: http://gwdu19.gwdg.de/~uaat/energ.htm
Project description in English on: "sorry, still under construction"