Re: MAKARIOS - I'm confused!?!?!

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Tue, 19 Nov 96 09:20:28 EST

My own preference for an English approximation to MAKARIOS
is "fortunate". The unfortunate part of using "fortunate"
is that it often has the implication of "lucky," which I
don't see as part of the Biblical world view, but it does
imply "being in an especially good condition," which is
what MAKARIOS means to me.

As to the significance in the context of the Beatitudes,
Jesus seems to be turning conventional attitudes on their
ear:

"Fortunate [are] the ones [who are] destitute in
their spirit,
because theirs is the kingdom of the heavens ...."

I read this not as "fortunate by being destitute in
spirit" but "fortunate because of what will happen to
them in the future because I have come."

Anyhow, them's my thoughts.

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-303-5491
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-460-8213
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com

"We all work with partial information."