>From gbrower@acpub.duke.edu Sat Oct 31 15:45:29 1992
From: gbrower@acpub.duke.edu (Gary Brower)
Subject: Re: Husband of one wife
To: gcollier@diana (GARY D. COLLIER)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 92 17:46:23 EST

There is a relatively large amount of scholarly material on the
issue of "univira" and/or "monandros".  (Don't hold me to my spelling,
it's Saturday afternoon, after all).

I suggest that if the original poster (I don't remember his/her name) has
access to _Religion One_ (the periodicals guide) - whether in hard
copy or on CD-ROM, he/she do a search on the biblical citations in question.

This was a rather common concept at the turn of the era; it was remarked
upon on gravestones, etc.  Most commentaries miss that kind of evidence.

Good luck!

Gary R. Brower
Dept. of Religion
Duke University