From: Nichael Lynn Cramer <nichael@sover.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 06:43:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Who was short? (Lk 19:3)

At 11:33 PM 12/06/95, Nichael Lynn Cramer wrote:
> [...]

My apology for sending to the entire list a reponse meant for Mr Ernest.

------------------------------

From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 09:57:26 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: BG: transliteration schemes

Perhaps I ought to include the original posting, but I will assume that
the interested parties all got Bruce's message. I have only a couple
comments on Bruce's work, apart from the fact that it is beautifully laid
out!

(1) My own scheme is the second column in Bruce's chart; I just want to
note that I did not envision using the lower case at all, except to
indicate rough breathing, iota subscript, and digamma (which I hardly
think we'll ever seriously contemplate using on this list). I like using
the upper-case characters primarily because it sets off a transliterated
Greek text very clearly from the modern vernacular discussion, which is
almost always in English. I have tried to use this scheme consistently in
my own posts since our last discussion of transliteration schemes, and do
so in the lengthy note that I am about to post this morning. Bruce has
suggested modifications regarding the representation of Xi and Chi in
particular, to conform more to the Laser Greek standard; I prefer to use
J and X because it's closer to my own GreekKeys standard. However, I
don't believe that anyone using either of these two forms should have
been misunderstood by readers. Which brings me to my second point, one
raised at the time when I posted the alternatives earlier:

(2) There can be no thought of an attempt to enforce an "orthodoxy of
meta-orthography (or whatever else one wants to call a transliteration
scheme)" on our list. People have their own preferred methods and I would
not expect anyone to change them (as I don't want to change Xi and Chi).
A consensus on this matter would be theoretically achievable, but is it
that important? I don't really think so. I really think that the most
important thing is to be consistent in the scheme that one adopts; if
consistency is maintained in a post, I don't think those who know Greek
reasonably well should have any trouble figuring out what stands for what.

In sum, I say let's retain the freedom and flexibility of a pluralism
regarding "meta-orthography," just as we endeavor to retain an openness
to a pluralism of ideas and beliefs.

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018