Re: So what becomes of Colwell's Rule?

From: Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org)
Date: Sat Aug 19 1995 - 00:48:25 EDT

        So, what becomes of Colwell's Rule? Colwell considered only
definite predicate nouns, then asserted the probability of articularity.
If his rule is valid, then its only application may be in the writing of
koine Greek where the author has a definite predicate noun in mind and
wishes to write it preceding the copulative verb. The rule would suggest
he do so without the definite article.
        It might have application in textual criticism where variant
readings may include articular and anarthrous constructions. If we know
the predicate noun to be definite (?), then Colwell's probabilities might
help us decide. But, then again, if the probability tells us the
expected rendering, should we not opt for the more difficult reading?
        The main thing about this whole thing is the mislogic employed by
Colwell and the many who have followed suit. Let's get back to a clear
understanding of what is implied by the conditional statement. "If A,
then B" does not imply, "If B, then A." Nor does "If A, then B," imply
"If not A, then not B."
        I personally have seen the conditional abused repeatedly. Mark
16:16 (accept the reading for the sake of argument) says, "He who
believes and is baptized shall be saved." Some, of course, have deduced
from this that if a man believes but is not baptized, then he is not
saved. Scripture, however, never says if a man is not baptized, then he
is not saved. It does say, though, if he does not believe, then he is
condemned already (Mk 16:16b).

        Paul Dixon