Re: TO SHMEION THS SHS PAROUSIAS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 05 1995 - 12:02:32 EDT

While I have limited time at the moment, I wanted to say that I am very
gratified by Edgar's response to my suggestion that we discuss the matter
of Jesus and SHMEIA, and I look forward to Carlton Winbery's promised
comments on the subject as well (and of course to contributions of all and
sundry who may care to comment on the topic!).

Just a couple notes at this time:

(1) I would hope that people who discuss this question will be clear about
their assumptions when they comment. I have stated before now that I assume
Marcan priority and a redaction of Mark's gospel by Matthew and Luke, which
is why I prefer to deal with the Marcan form of a common pericope first; I
realize that some do not share this assumption and I'm hoping that those
who don't will indicate that clearly when dealing with a relevant SHMEION
text in Matthew and/or Luke.

(2) Edgar cites Mt 24:29 KAI hAI DUNAMEIS TWN OURANWN SALEUQHSONTAI and
suggests that this might relate to the world view of Col 2. Wouldn't it
relate as well to the possible world view of Romans 8:38-39, i.e., that
there may be astral powers in the planetary spheres, perhaps subject to
Satan or the KOSMOKRATWR THS SKOTIAS THS PAROUSHS? (don't know if I've
cited that correctly!)

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018