Re: SHMEION TOU UIOU ANQRWPOU

From: Bruce Terry (terry@bible.acu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 12 1995 - 16:06:42 EDT

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Carlton Winbery wrote in part:

>The parable of the fig tree
>refers to judgment on Israel and the closing phrase translated "know that it
>is at the gate." The statement in vs. 24, "In those days after that
>tribulation" seems to me to be a kind of apocalyptic way of further
>separating 70 BCE from the parousia. The use of apocalyptic language from
>Joel in 24-25 should be compared with the use of the same language from Joel
>in Peter's speech in Acts 2 to refer to what happened on the day of Pentecost
>(Acts 2:17-21). The only direct reference in Mark 13 to parousia may be in
>vs. 32ff. That which happened in that generation was that the Son of Man was
>vindicated and sent his disciples to proclaim the gospel to all the nations.
> I don't think that there can be much doubt that Mark wanted his readers to
>be ready to do just that.
>
>Also, I think that Matthew has brought in the idea of parousia where Mark did
>not see it.
>
>What do you think?

I freely admit that it is more difficult for a reader to see the second coming
in Mark than in Matthew. I am not so sure that means that Mark himself did
not see it. Indeed, I am not sure if readers in the first century could read
Mark 13:26-27 without thinking of the second coming:

TON UION TOU ANQRWPOU ERCOMENON EN NEFELAIS META DUNAMEUS POLLHS KAI DOXHS
"the son of man coming in clouds with great power and glory"

APOSTELEI TOUS AGGELOUS KAI EPISUNAXEI TOUS EKLEKTOUS AUTOU
"he will send the angels and gather his chosen"

The parallels are too close to other second coming passages in the NT.

Re the parable of the fig tree: granted that EGGUS ESTIN can be translated "it
is near" as well as "he is near." But one would know that "he/it is near"
when one saw TAUTA "these things" happening. I follow Earle MacMillan in his
idea that TAUTA refers to the disciples' question about the destruction of the
temple. It was not that God's *judgment* on Israel was near when the temple
was destroyed; by that time, that judgment had already happened. I understand
this parable to relate the judgment on Israel in AD 70 to the judgment on the
world at the second coming.

I agree that 13:24 in some sense separates the events of AD 70 (or more
strictly AD 66-74) from the parousia.

Bruce Terry E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station Phone: 915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699 Fax: 915/674-3769