Re: Let the Women be silent

From: BROWNFIELD/MARTIN (mpbrownf@fedex.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 1995 - 14:20:55 EDT

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995, Bruce Terry wrote (concerning 1 Cor. 14:33b-36):

> Further, as I point out on p. 112 of my book, the section 33b-36 forms a
> conceptual chiasmus:
> A 33b as in all the churches of the saints
> B 34a let the women keep silent in the churches
> C 34b let them be subordinate
> C' 35a let them ask their husbands at home
> B' 35b it is shameful for a woman to speak in church
> A' 36 did the word of God come from you, or arrive to you alone?
>
> A quote from the letter doesn't fit well in this structure.

I take it then that you consider verse 33b to be taken with what
follows (with RSV and NIV), rather than with verse 33a (following
the verse divisions and some modern commentators). I have heard the
argument that since some MSS (D F G and some latin texts) place
vv. 34-35 after verse 40 but do NOT take verse 33b with them that
that argues for interpreting v. 33b with v. 33a.

I think it makes more sense the way you present it above, but does
the textual evidence on vv. 34f have any bearing on this?

Marty Brownfield
mpbrownf@fedex.com