Re: Books on the Synoptic Problem

From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 02 1995 - 18:40:02 EDT

Stephen Carlson wrote:
>In a cross-posting to B-GREEK, a reference was made to books >attacking or
supporting the most widely held solution to the >Synoptic Problem, viz. the
Two-Source Hypothesis (2SH). I'm >asking this list for some books that
support the 2SH.
(omission)
>Two modern works are very good, but they are explicitly >"neutral" on the
question: Bellinzoni's anthology, THE >TWO-SOURCE HYPOTHESIS: A Critical
Reappraisal, which is >out of print, and David Neville's ARGUMENTS FROM ORDER
IN >SYNOPTIC SOURCE CRITICISM.

>So what I'm asking is: if there are books out there defending >the 2SH, what
are they?

I still think that one of the best short statements about Mark as the first
gospel written and the dependence of Matt. & Luke is by G.M. Styler in the
fourth excursus in C.F.D. Moule, The Birth of the NT. The best textbook for
a study of the Synoptic relationships is Aland, Synopsis Quattour
Evangeliorum. The old Huck-Lietzmann, Synopse Der Drei Ersten Evangelien
served me very well. One needs to translate these gospels paragraph by
paragraph side by side before one forms a fixed opinion on the question. I
once saw a claim, for instance, that Matthew had reduced Mark's historical
presents from 150 to 72. The fact is that some of those 150 historical
presents are not in parallel material. Matthew also has 26 historical
presents in Matthean material that is not parallel to Markan material. So he
got some from somewhere else or introduced them himself.

Allen Barr, A Diagram of Synoptic Relationships is a handy tool to have at
hand when evaluating secondary works on the subject.

Carlton Winbery
LA College, Pineville, LA