Re > Keeping up

From: Karen Pitts (karen_pitts@maca.sarnoff.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 1995 - 21:45:16 EDT

Re > Keeping up 10/3/95 9:33 AM

On 9/22/95, Rick Brannan wrote:

>Anyway, I find myself in constant need of review and really have little idea
>about how to effectively review/keep up the knowledge base. If anyone has
>any suggestions concerning books or tools that they have found helpful in
>keeping up, I would appreciate the recommendations, as well information on
>where I might locate them. Specifically, help with grammatical and
>syntactical issues (yeah, I know -- that's kind of broad) would be
>appreciated.

Rick:

I've been waiting for someone else to reply to your request, but haven't seen
any traffic. This is how I keep up.

1) I teach an Introduction to NT Greek at my church. It keeps me current with
all the syntax, vocab, forms, etc., or at least the part that I'm teaching
that week.

2) I get together with several others (2-4) to read through some part of
either the Greek New Testament or the Septuagint. We probably meet, on
average, every other week (no summer, no advent, other breaks as we can't
manage our schedules). We all read through the passage on our own, and then
when we get together, we translate a sentence or a paragraph at a time, and
discuss our different readings. We frequently parse or defend gramatically
our translation.

3) I browse grammars. I have three introductory grammars and Symth (advanced
classical grammar), one intermediate grammar, and am considering purchasing a
couple of other intermediate grammars.

4) There are some internet helps, but they are mostly for beginners. I got
Bill Mounce's Greek Hangman, which is fun, but vocab. based. I also have
something called Patricia's Greek, which is a hypercard stack with vocab in
frequency order, which is helpful for vocab. Dallas Theological Seminary has
a lot of stuff on line as well (Theos Tutor), but I've not used it. If you
want any of these, I can go find the addresses.

Good luck,

Karen Pitts
Hopewell Presbyterian Church, Hopewell, NJ, teacher of NT Greek
David Sarnoff Research Center, Princeton, NJ, statistician
kpitts@sarnoff.com