Re: Beginning Grammars

From: Karen Pitts (karen_pitts@maca.sarnoff.com)
Date: Sun Oct 08 1995 - 02:47:22 EDT

Frank:

I don't know that I have something to recommend, but maybe some lists of
things which are not appropriate is almost as useful.

I've used Efird, A Grammar for New Testament Greek, which is tersely written
and intended to be used with a teacher (to fill in the gaps or provide better
explanations). The excersizes are limited and it's hard to learn from without
an instructor. I know because I tried. It has no connection to classical
Greek, which I think you would find frustrating. However, it is sound in
explanation and paradigms, so it isn't totally useless, but it would not be my
first choice given your background.

I've also used Voeltz, Fundamental Greek Grammar, which has more detailed
explanations and some ties to classical Greek, but I don't like how it is
organized and it is missing convenient lists of paradigms.

I just purchased "It's Greek to Me", which looks much more appropriate for a
teach-yourself-situation, but I don't know enough about it to know if it fits
you. A grad student at Princeton Theological Seminary recommended it to me
since she'd used it with an introductory class and she was impressed at how
well people learned vocab from it (this may not be what you need either).

Efird lists stuff for further study, four intermediate grammars, Chamberlain,
"An Exegetical Grammar of the Greek New Testament" (1941), Dana & Mantey, "A
Manuel Grammar of the Greek New Testament" (1927), Hewett,"New Testament
Greek, A Beginning and Intermediate Grammar" (1986), and Roberson & Davis, "A
New Short Grammar of the Greek New Testament" (1935).

I also got several recommendations for my request for an intermediate grammar,
which I asked for about a month ago when I joined this list. I will forward
them to you.

Good luck! I was a brand-new graduate student at UNC 21 years ago (in
Operations Research).

Karen Pitts
Hopewell Presbyterian Church, Hopewell, NJ, teacher of NT Greek
David Sarnoff Research Center, Princeton, NJ, statistician
kpitts@sarnoff.com