Re: New Testament Hymns & Greek Hymns

From: Larry W. Hurtado (hurtado@cc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 27 1995 - 14:51:51 EDT

On 27 Oct 1995, Calvin D. Redmond wrote:

> I'm doing some research involving the New Testament "hymns" (John 1:1-14, Col.
> 1:15-20, Phil. 2, etc). I'm out of my area of limited knowledge and wonder if
> someone can help me with the following question: Where can I find some
> description of a "standard form" for classical or Koine hymns or poems? I have
> read most of the standard literature on the NT "hymns," which generally says
> the NT "hymns" are not really in Greek hymn form, but I haven't been able to
> define the form to try to reach any judgment on my own.

The work that most subsequent studies of NT christological hymns depend
upon is Eduard Norden, _Agnostos Theos_ (Stuttgart: Teubner, 1956
reprint), which attempted an analysis of forms in religious poetry in
Greek. More recently, the indispensible reference work is Michael
Lattke, _Hymnus: Materialien zu einer Geschichte der antiken Hymnologie_
(Novum Testamentum et Orbis Antiquus, 19; Goettingen: Vandenhoeck &
Ruprecht, 1991).

Larry Hurtado, Religion, Univ. of Manitoba