Re: Acts 2:1

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Sat Nov 11 1995 - 10:31:59 EST

On Sat, 11 Nov 1995 BBezdek@aol.com wrote:

> I am reposting this question because I believe it was lost with the
> list-server problem.
>
> Is HASAN PANTES of Acts 2:1 refering to the Apostles only or can it be
> reasonably expanded to the 120? The nearest antecedent is ENDEKA APOSTOLOWN,
> so this is what I have have always taken it to mean.
>
> I am not asking for doctinal positions, but only what the text allows.

        There are some other words in this context that may shed light on
the meaning of HESAN PANTES. How one understands the latter probably will
depend to some extent on how one understands hOMOU and the phrase EPI TO
AUTO. The word hOMOU may mean "together," and that would fit here. It
may also indicate a total number or sum (M&M, s.v.), but since our text
lacks lists to be added up, it probably does not have that meaning here.
The phrase EPI TO AUTO probably does not mean "in one place" as one often
sees it translated. W. F. Howard points out that, although EPI TO AUTO
commonly means "together" in the LXX, in the NT and the church fathers it
has a technical meaning signifying the union of the Christian body - "in
church" (Moulton, II, p. 473). Although there are some instances of EPI
TO AUTO in Acts that might cause us to question Howard's dictum (cf.
2:44,47), it does seem probable that the meaning of the phrase in 2:1 is
something like "in assembly" or "in church."

        This interpretation colors how we understand HSAN PANTES which,
then, most probably refers to the whole congregation of believers rather
than only the apostles, even though the apostles are the closest referent
in text.

        A translation along this line could be, "And when the day of
Pentecost arrived, they were all together in meeting.....

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education