Re: Bible study software? (fwd)

From: Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Thu Nov 30 1995 - 00:04:22 EST

On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Stephen Carlson wrote:
> Nichael Cramer wrote:
> > Likewise the search engines in many of the systems are quite simple; for
> > example in the On-Line Bible were one do a search in Greek on "XAPIS", the
> > system will not find matches of the form "XAPIC" (i.e. different forms of
> > the final sigma).
> The problem with the final sigma doesn't crop up much in the OLB,
> because no words end in a non-final sigma, so you just type it in:
> like this: "cariv".

Right, I do understand this point. My concern, however, was one of
a user-interface or usability issue.

The analogous issue here would be one of case-sensitivity in English.
That is, I find it as annoying that that the search algorithm
differentiates between final forms as I would if it wouldn't find "Moses"
if I typed in "moses" or "MOSES".

> If you want to search for more than the nominative
> singular of XARIS, you would use the OR operator: "cariv | carit*".

And if I want to search for all forms of <EIMI>? ;-)