Re: Col 1:24

From: Mike Adams (mikadams@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 21:08:21 EST

(Sorry if this is a duplicate post. My line crashed mid-transmit, and I
don't know whether it made it across.)

Jim Beale wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm stuck. Col 1:24 reads in part:
>
> NU=N XAI/RW E)N TOI=S PAQH/MASIN U(PE\R U(MW=N
>
>As I understand it:
>
> PAQH/MASIN is dative plural.
> U(MW=N is 2nd person genitive plural.
>
>Why does the NAS translate this:
>
> Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake
>
>If someone asked me right now how I would translate this, I would
>say:
>
> Now I rejoice in your abundant sufferings
>
>That doesn't seem right! I'm sure I've missed something...
>

>Jim

huper as a prefix can mean "abundant" and the genitive case
can mean "belonging to". Huper here is a preposition, which used with
the genitive (ablative to 8-casers) can signify "in behalf of".
The NAS translation reflects this meaning.

Ellen Adams