Re: Lk1:1, DIHGHSIN - how many?

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Fri Dec 29 1995 - 09:46:01 EST

Stephen Carlson wrote;
>I've come an interesting interpretation of Lk1:1, but it seems implausible,
>so I'd like the list's opinion of it:
>
>Lk1:1 EPEIDHPER POLLOI EPEIXEIRHSAN ANATACASQAI DIHGHSIN PERI TWN
> PEPLHROFORHMENWN EN hHMIN PRAGMATWN
>
>The NRSV's translation adequately illustrates the same problem in
>English:
>
>Lk1:1 Since many have undertaken to set down an orderly account of the
> events that have been fulfilled among us,
>
>How many accounts is Luke referring to? Many people, each, have written
>a separate account; or one account which many people helped to write? I
>have always understood Luke to refer to many accounts, but how plausible
>is it to understand the latter possibility?
>
>Luke is such a careful writer, especially in this section, if he want to
>precisely state there was one account, would he have said, e.g., "MIAN
>DIHGHSIN"?

The possibility of a single account contributed by many people seems to me
remote indeed. ANATACASQAI can mean "to compile" can imply that Luke is
thinking of several sources. Verse two indicates that he was dealing with
traditions that were being passed on. There were many AUTOPTAI and
hUPHRETAI. This situation, I would think, calls for Luke having several
written sources. I think that he is thinking of these.
Grace,

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La