Re: Grammar in Mt 6 and 7

From: KevLAnder@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 31 1995 - 03:18:19 EST

Ken,

Maybe these comments will help:

Matt 6:24--I believe hENOS and hETEROU may be genitives of reference, "cling
(with reference to) the one, and despise (with reference to) the other." Is
it possible that the gen. case is being used in tandem with the prepositions
(ANTI and KATA) in the two compound verbs?

Matt 7:4--Nunn, in _A Short Syntax of New Testament Greek_ (sec. 119) notes
that the first person sg. hortatory subj. can be prefixed by APHES. He
translates: "Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye." Burton (74) also
writes, "Occasionally the first person singular is used with APHES or DEURO
prefixed, the exhortation in that case becoming a request of the speaker to
the person addressed to permit him to do something. Mt. 7:4; See also Lk.
6:42; Acts 7:34 . . . ."

Matt 7:9,10--What you remember about the uses of OU and MH in questions
probably serves you well here. MH indicates that the question anticipates a
negative response: "he will not give him a stone [will he]? . . . he will
not give him a serpent [will he]?" The answer, of course, is "No!"

Kevin L. Anderson
Concord, CA