FW: Mistery square

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Fri Jan 05 1996 - 12:00:24 EST

Subject: FW: Mistery square

Karl_Schulte-CKS005@email.mot.com, with a question from Giovanni Lattanzi,
asked about the following acrostic:

                        SATOR
                        AREPO
                        TENTE
                        OPERA
                        ROTAS

        I know that somewhere I have a book that gave the following
interpretation of this mystery, but I can't locate it at the moment. I
believe the interpretation is conjectural; nevertheless, it could be
valid.

APATERNOSTERO

        This solution to the puzzle gives "Pater Noster" (Our Father) in
the form of a cross using the only N as the point of crossing for the
vertical and the horizontal. The A at the beginning and the O at the end
of each writing of the phrase could stand for "alpha" and "omega"
respectively.

        As far as I know, no ancient instance of this solution has been found.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore