Re: L. William Countryman's beginning Greek text

From: David Housholder (73423.2015@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Jan 10 1996 - 13:38:47 EST

>>The book is THE NEW TESTAMENT IS IN GREEK (Eerdmans 1993).
. . . .
>>It looks like a good approach, but I have not taught it and so can't be
>>sure. Anyone out there who has tried it, so we may benefit from your
>>experience?

Tom,

I have not used the book directly, but included it in the materials used in New
Testament Greek at Union Biblical Seminary, India. The students there were doing
a one-semester course (based on an abridged Wehnam) and were then going
immediately into the exegesis of the Synoptic Gospels. Because I taught the
exegesis in the final 10 weeks of the second semester, leaving the first 6 to 7
weeks open, we introduced an "Introduction to Exegesis" during those weeks. We
used Countryman and another resource (the name eludes me: It's an 8.5 X 11"
workbook taking the student through 1 John and introducing the use of various
library resources in the process. Anyone recognize that? I think its out of
print).

Countryman is an excellent followup to a basic course. It reviews the
introductory materials and presents them in context of an actual study of text.

It is intended as an introductory course. I think it could be used effectively
in that way. Keep in mind that it proceeds on an inductive basis. And it will
work effectively only if the instructor allows it to be approached on that
basis. The temptation to an instructor is to say, "Your book has introduced the
use of the third person plural of this verb; here are all the other possible
forms."

--Dave--
1:35 PM EDT on Wednesday, January 10, 1996