VULGATE TRANS. OF GK. KATABRABEUEIN (COL 2.18)

From: Yingerk@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 19 1996 - 19:02:11 EST

I am looking for a Latin expert who can advise me as to the meaning of the
verb SEDUCO as found in the Vulgate of Col 2:18.
The Vulgate reads here, nemo vos seducat volens, and translates the Greek
verb KATABRABEUEIN, a NT hapax legomenon which is rendered in the NRSV, "Do
not let anyone disqualify you."
My Latin lexica indicate that this verb normally meant "to take" or "to lead
apart," perhaps even "to separate, sever." Have they perhaps understood the
unusual Greek verb as some english translators do, namely, "to rob one of a
prize [BRABEION]"? If so, is this meaning of the Latin verb (i.e., to rob of,
to take something away from someone) attested elsewhere? Has the verb taken
on such a meaning elsewhere in ecclesiastical Latin?
Jerome's paraphrase reads a bit differently than the Vulgate, nemo adversum
vos bravium accipiat, and Theod.Mops. has, nemo bravium vestrum tollat.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies to: yingerk@aol.com