Litwak's question on Hebrew/Greek of Ps. 16:1

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 1996 - 17:01:23 EST

Ken Litwak asked:

        " When I was translating both Ps 109 and Ps 15, it seemed
to me, based on looking at an English translation (not the Hebrew I admit),
namely the NASB, where I go when I want as close to literal in English as
possible, that either the translator(s) didn't know Hebrew very well or must
have had a very different text in front of him/her. For example, in Ps 15,
the psalmist, according to the NASB, said that "you Lord are my only good"
or words to that effect. The LXX, unless my Greek is very bad, said
"You have no need of my good things". My Hebrew is good enough to know the
difference. Has this been analyzed to the point where it can be said
whether the translator wasn't up to snuff or he/she used a different vorlage?
---"

Ken, you have a knack for picking them! This example illustates once again
my point, often made, that English translations will cause you more trouble
in reading Greek than they are usually worth.
        The HEBREW of Ps. 16:1 is not what NASB was translating. Like the
ASV and the RSV and the NRSV (et alia), they simply adopted the translation
of Jerome -- because the Hebrew doesn't seem to make any sense.
        So don't imagine that LXX had a different Vorlage (always a capital
V), or that the translator couldn't read Hebrew. Both are frequently the
case -- but neither is the problem here. The problem is that you looked
at an English translation you supposed was based on the Hebrew--and wasn't.
        It is really unwise to have any English translation of the Hebrew,
or of Jerome, in front of you when you are reading LXX.

        Incidentally, one advantage of using LSJ for your LXX reading is
that you have to use it a LOT (which you complain of); the result of this
is that you gradually will learn how to use it, a skill you are going to
need desperately later on. So why not practice now?

Edward Hobbs