Luke 1:78--"tender mercy/lovingkindness"

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Fri Jan 26 1996 - 13:02:49 EST

-Edward Hobbs wrote:

>> Perhaps this has been confused by someone with the fact that Tyndale created
the wonderful translation (in the OT) of the Hebrew HESED (CHESED) by
"lovingkindness." That was a masterstroke indeed! <<

The confusion was mine, not Carl Conrad's, I hasten to admit.

My thanks for the speedy correction -- yet again, faulty recall of a
conversation of some years ago, plus not looking up Tyndale's translation (
not easily come by in my part of the world ! )

Yes, "lovingkindness" as _one_ of the possible translations of CHESED I have
long known, so it would seem that that conversation I recalled was switching
from NT to OT, and I went down the wrong track<g>.

As against the RSV of Lk 1:78:

through the tender mercy of our God,
    when the day shall dawn upon us from on high

I prefer the Grail:

the loving-kindness of the heart of our God
who visits us like the dawn from on high

and I prefer either to the ICET version:

In the tender compassion of our God
the dawn from on high shall break upon us

Regards,

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie