Re:

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Tue Jan 30 1996 - 10:59:55 EST

Russell Williamson wrote;
>Philippians 1.28
>KAI MH PTUROMENOI EN MHDENI UPO TWN ANTIKEIMENWN, hHTIS ESTIN AUTOIS
>ENDEIXIS APOLEIAS, UMWN DE SWTHRIAS, KAI TOUTO APO QEOU
>
>To what does the KAI TOUTO APO QEOU refer? Can you provide the basic rule
>of grammar/syntax on which you base your decision so I don't have to continue
>beating my head against the wall?

It is also difficult to know exactly what the hHTIS refers to. I assume
that it refers to the fact that the opponents oppose the Christians. That
would mean that the same thing is an indication of the salvation of the
readers. TOUTO (neuter) seems to be used by Paul to refer to the whole
situation. He often used the neuter gender when referring to a general
idea.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La