Re: Future subjunctive

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Mon Jan 29 1996 - 19:17:48 EST

Mark O'Brien wrote;
>I was recently reading some comments regarding the existence of the future
>subjunctive in one of the readings for 1Co 13:12, and I was thinking of doing a
>little digging in this area. Can anybody supply me some brief background info
>on the history of the future subjunctive in Greek? Thanks for your input. (I
>apologize if this has been dealt with in previous discussion.)

Mark later corrected the reference to I Cor. 13:3. Carl Conrad and Ed
Hobbs have both given good correctives to the idea of the existence of a
future subjunctive. I would like to comment on the textual problem at I
Cor 12:3. I am persuaded that the original is KAUXHSWMAI supported by P46,
aleph, A B and others. Some scribe (perhaps in a scriptorum) heard that
word and wrote KAUQHSWMAI (Psi, and a many others). Another scribe saw
that reading and changed it to KAUQHSOMAI (C D F G L the whole latin
tradition and some others). The aorist deponent subjunctive with hINA
makes good sense here, "in order that I might boast."

Carlton Winbery
Chair Religion/Philosophy
LA College,
Pineville,La