Re: Upsilon

From: Mike Adams (mikadams@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 1996 - 10:05:15 EST

Tim wrote:
>> I would only add that some suggest that Upsilon has an occassional
V sound
>> (as in Victory) or W sound (as in Wax). Examples include the name
DAUID

You wrote:
>Interesting point, Tim. I wonder when this took place. We find
historians
>writing Greek in the first and later centuries of our era transliterating
>Roman names like Varus and Vergilius as OUAROS and OUERGILIOS, which
should
>mean that the OU + vowel was our W sound. But when was the Latin
>EVANGELIUM, representing the Greek EUAGGELION first being pronounced with
>our V sound? Does anyone know?
>
>Carl W. Conrad

I most certainly don't know, but I would add that my Greek friend Eleni,
as well as a few local Greek restaurant workers use this pronounciation in
certain dipthongs: TAU, AUTOS, and as you mentioned, EUANGGELION. So
distraught was my friend with "schoolbook" pronouciation, that I
incorporated a touch of the "V" sound in discussions with her, and
generally retain that pronounciation in my oral reading out of respect.

I imagine the U, much like the LL in Spanish, has held many dialectical
variations over so great a span of distance and years.

Ellen