Re: SUMMORPHIZOMENOS (Phil 3:10)

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 1996 - 12:56:32 EDT

>From: Eric Weiss <eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov>
>Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 10:36:35 EDT
>Subject: SUMMORPHIZOMENOS (Phil 3:10)
>
>Philippians 3:10 SUMMORPHIZOMENOS
>
>Depending on which lexicon I check, this is either passive ptc. of
>SUMMORPHIZW (BAGD, Abbott-Smith) or is from the deponent (I guess)
>SUMMORPHIZOMAI (Louw-Nida, UBS dictionary), if a -OMAI lexical entry
>means the verb is deponent.

One thing to keep in mind about L&N and the UBS dictionary is that
they have a penchant for listing the lemmas (Lexical forms) of verbs
in their middle/passive form when the word only occurs in that form
in the NT. The problem, of course, with doing that is that to most
of us using that dictionary think the verb is deponent when it
very clearly is not in Koine or in Hellenistic Greek. You should
alway consult BAGD for these issues--though once or twice BAGD does
the same thing (cf., DIALLOSSOMAI, which is NOT deponent in Koine;
cmp., BAGD's definition "become reconciled" which is a passive
definition). To only look at the word in NT usage is almost akin
to basing NT lexicography on the presupposition the NT Greek is
"Holy Ghost Greek". SUMMORFIZW is not deponent in Koine and so
you are left with the decision as to whether its passive or
middle...

Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com