Re: SABBASI

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Jun 27 1996 - 06:50:16 EDT

Phillip Cleary wrote;
>Someone on another list recently inquired why the dative plural of SABBATON
>is SABBASI rather than SABBATOIS. I know that both forms are attested. But
>all that I could find in my home library was the unenlightening statement
>the SABBASI was a heteroclitic form (with no further explanation).

SABBATON is a second declension neuter noun which really is a
transliteration of the Hebrew word for sabbath. In the dative it is
sometimes attracted to the form of the third declension neuter nouns ending
in T. Before the SI of the 3rd declension dative the T drops leaving
SABBASI(N).

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La