RE: DIAKONON IN R

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 1996 - 05:04:05 EDT

Perry Stepp wrote;
>Dr. Winbery, I'm not sure I understand that last sentence. Are you referring
>to the specific use of DIAKONON in Rom 16, or the various uses of DIAKONON here
>and elsewhere?
>
>Also (and only tangentially related to this discussion), what about the
>patroness role in the early church? We read of wealthy women in *other*
>Hellenistic religious settings who sponsored religious groups: what of wealthy
>women in the church who did the same? And how would that relate to any
>discussion of deaconesses, if it relates at all?

I had community dark roast this a.m. I'm not sure that helped. I got a
little dramatic in the last sentence. I am aware that the word DEACONOS
surely describes an office in the Pastorals where it has qualifications and
can be sought. What my last sentence means is that, IMO, the reference in
Rom. 16:1 is surely the office as well. I've never related the patrons to
which you refer to Phoebe. That might be even more interesting.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net