At last! -- LSJM, new supplement !

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 15 1996 - 15:06:38 EDT

Friends of Greek persuasion,
                                O frabjous day!
                                Calloo, callay!

These words are being chortled, I am sure, by the father of the Alice for
whom they were written--Henry George Liddell (wherever he may be). The
new Liddell-Scott-Jones-McKenzie Lexicon, with the completely new Supplement
by Glare, has just arrived in my office! (Mailed one week ago today.)

Papyri and inscription citations seem to be vastly enlarged, and Linear B
is at long last entered into the main body of the Supplement.

It's been a year-and-a-half since it was supposed to be out, but the final
result looks wonderful, at first skimming!

Personal note: It is just fifty years since my first copy of the brand-
new, "New Edition" (9th, replacing the 8th of 1897), in two volumes,
arrived in Chicago after the War (which had prevented arrival of more
than a handful of copies since 1940 publication). How I lovingly
fondled that giant book! My 8th edition had two sections bound in the
wrong order, and at long last I was able to give that copy away!

I see that I now have five copies of this Lexicon, each in a different
office or study--the original two-volume, the one-volume, then the 1968
Supplement by Barber, then a one-volume with Barber bound in, and finally
this wonderful volume with Glare's Supplement bound in.

Edward Hobbs