Re: Luke 12:10

From: James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 1996 - 17:00:42 EDT

>From Carlton L. Winbery, first quoting my earlier note ...
> >
> >I find this intriguing. Although I have to admit not having done a
> >thorough study of EIS, is it possible even to translate EIS positively as
> >"for" rather than "against":
> >
> > "And anyone who will speak a word for (in favor of) the Son of man
> > ..."
> 1 Cor. 16:1 PERI THS LOGEIAS THS EIS TOUS hAGIOUS . . .
> "Concerning the offering for the saints . . .
>
> Just because it can does not mean that it is. If a person speaks a word
> for the S of M, why does he need forgiveness?

In the traditional NT interpretation, we all need forgiveness --
that's a given. But the question is, how do we obtain it? The
answers vary somewhat, as the recent hot discussion of Acts 2.38
has shown. But most of them involve committing yourself in one form
another to the Son of Man and his cause -- repentance, PISTIS,
the action of baptism, etc. One could then read this as another
form of making that commitment -- "declaring yourself for the
Son of Man."

An advantage of Grams' interpretation is that it then creates a
parallelism with vv. 8-9:

   "whoever acknowledges me before men ..."
   "he who disowns me before men ..."

echoed in

   "anyone who will declare himself for the Son of man ..."
   "he who blasphemes toward the Holy Spirit ..."

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com