Re: Sexist Language

From: Robert J. Petry, C.L. (Ambassador@sisna.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 1997 - 17:39:56 EDT

Jonathan Robie wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>Roma 16:7 (NASB) Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen, and my fellow
<BR>prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in
Christ
<BR>before me.

<P>If Junias is female, then she is a female apostle.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
My question is this. Does the Greek actually include Junias "among" the
Apostles, or as Wuest translates it, "Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow
countrymen and my fellow prisoners who are of excellent reputation among
the apostles, ..." Being of reputation, and being an Apostle are certainly
two different things. And "among" here is EN I believe. Does EN really
mean "among" here, or "in", as a possible implication of "in fellowship
with" the Apostles?

<P>As for the question of how to translate certain Greek "inclusive" words
where it is truly obvious, I like the method of Reginald Dutton from his
World Speedwords. (a great email shorthand system for most if not all interlanguage
exchanges.) Dutton has the suffix -<I>r</I> which is added to root words
to turn them into a person. For example, <I>ri</I> means <I>to write</I>.
Thus, <I>rir</I> would be a <I>writer</I>.&nbsp;&nbsp; His speedword for
<I>or</I>, is simply <I>or</I>. And, when he adds the person suffix <I>-r</I>
to it, it becomes <I>orr </I>and means <I>he or she, </I>that is, an <I>either
or</I> person. Thus, "if <I>orr </I>is a prophet, or deacon, so be it."
This may be off point for this list, but sometimes the most simple item
could eliminate much friction so we all, <I>orr</I>, may get on with the
learning process.

<P>Robert J. Petry, C.L.
<BR>"Procrastination takes time."
<BR>http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2464</HTML>