Re: SIGATW in 1 Cor 14:34

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Sat Jun 28 1997 - 02:16:44 EDT

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997 14:38:09 -0500 (CDT) "R. D. Dickson"
<asaint@iamerica.net> writes:

>>Theresa J List, Dcs writes:

snip
>> Or, 1 Cor. 11:5, a mere few hundred words before the
>> injunction against speaking in 1 co 14, where women are
>> to prophesy with their heads covered. I refuse to believe
>> that either God or Paul are schizofrenic, erego I know
>> there is some way to understand these as not contradictory.
>
>With respect to the apparent contradiction in Paul's instruction in I
>Corinthians, I wonder if the solution doesn't lie in different
>settings of worship between I Cor. 11:1-16 and I Cor. 11:17-14:40?

The supposed or apparent contradiction between 1 Cor 11:1 and
1 Cor 14:34 exists only if one assumes that 1 Cor 11:5 teaches that
a woman who prays or prophesies with her head covered does
not shame her head.

Although one is tempted to conclude this, the verse does not say
it, and it cannot be inferred. There is no necessary conflict between
11:5 and 14:34.

Paul S. Dixon