Re: PANTHERA

From: Trevor M Peterson (spedrson@juno.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 1997 - 06:15:42 EDT

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:43:59 +0000 chris@gil.com.au writes:
>In answer to Trevor Peterson"s query about Panthera, the supposed (by
>hostile Jewish tradition? - Bienert finds this perhaps questionable
>[see below]) father of Jesus, I think the following
>references might prove useful. They are to be found in W.
>Schneemelcher (ed.) *New Testament Apocrypha* (Rev., trans. R. McL
>Wilson),
>vol. 1 (Cambridge: James Clark, 1991):

[snipped]

Thanks for the info., although I didn't initiate the query. I've also
read in one place or another that John 8:41 may include a veiled
reference to this idea: EIPAN OUN AUTWi: hHMEIS EK PORNEIAS OU
GEGENNHMEQA. Since a strong emphasis is on "we," some have taken it to
be more than just a defense of their own position but also an implied
accusation against Jesus's.

>"A special problem is posed by the statement in Epiphanius (*Pan*
>78.7.5) that Jacob, Jesus' grandfather, had the surname 'Panther'.
>According to Eusebius (*Ecl. Proph.* III.10) this statement was made
>with slanderous and defamatory intent (cf. also Cesus in origen, *c.
>Cels. I.32f.; 69). How far Jewish traditions played a apart here, as
>is often assumed, is a debated question." (p. 487)

[snipped]

I'd guess this is probably the sort of thing our original inquirer was
looking for. I don't know how much he was interested in the stories as
opposed to where the name itself actually originated.

Trevor Peterson
M.Div. Candidate
Capital Bible Seminary
Lanham, MD