Alexander's conquest of Tyre

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Dec 06 1997 - 23:58:22 EST

I have been reading Arrian's account of Alexander's conquest of Tyre (Book
II of Arrian's History of Alexander and Indica) and am amazed to find it so
different from an account I read about six or seven years ago (or is my
memory really getting that bad?). The problem is, I can't remember where I
read the other account. Do any of you know what other historians of the
hellenistic period (or perhaps a little earlier) wrote an account of this
conquest?

Yes, I know this is outside the topic of BIBLICAL Greek, but it is Greek of
roughly the same period... and I do think reading as much as you can of the
other hellenistic Greek literature is a great idea if you really want to
understand biblical Greek. So, maybe I'm not all that far off-topic :-)

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the (New and Improved) Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/bibliography.html