RE: Chiasm in Matt 7:6?

From: Peter Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 03:05:56 EST

Betz commentary on the Sermon on the Mount goes into some length about this
chiasmus. Clearly it is dogs that do the rending and pigs that do the
trampling. I don't feel there is any need to focus upon individual
emphases within the structure - ABB'A' is good enough to prove the chiastic
structure. Moreover the reference to Mk2:27 actually confuses the issue -
the chiasmus there is much simpler (Sabbath:human:human:Sabbath) but it is
only one form of chiasmus. It would be incorrect to then say that all
chiasmi would have to transfer the indirect object of the first clause to
become the subject of the second - as happens to ANQRWPOS.

Pete Phillips
Cliff College