RE: Language atlas of 1st Century Palestine

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 00:48:49 EST

At 08:59 12/17/97 -0000, Peter Phillips wrote:
>Can anybody of scholarly learning shed any light on Funk's idea that
>Aramaic was a Galilean dialect (does he mean - rather than a
>pan-Palestine/Fertile Crescent language?) Or have I had too much turkey
>already?

I can't really speak to what is represented as Funk's idea (although at
first blush it seems implausible), but it is evident (DHLON) that Galileans
are distinguished by their speech (LALIA) as in Mt26:73, KAI GAR hH LALIA
SOU DHLON SE POIEI. Whether LALIA refers to accent or dialect is another
issue, but I somewhat favor the former over the latter.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.