Re: Re: Transliterating Greek for B-Greek

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 1997 - 11:01:54 EST

Dear
In a message dated 12/29/97 1:39:00 PM, Ward wrote:

>Then there are some list members who prefer to use lower-case letters for
>Greek transliteration, together with various punctuation marks which (I
>guess) represent accents and the smooth breathing.

Yes it can get confusing when we don't stick to conventions. I, myself don't
have any difficulty with the lowercase transliterations because I see it often
on my own computer in my own studies. It comes from an electronic version of
the GNT that I downloaded from someone's web page. I can pretty much guarantee
that when you find the lower case stuff, the poster has copied it from his GNT
file and pasted it into his post. I suppose because it saves time typing and
eliminates possibility of error in transmission.

I myself deviate from the recommended scheme in that I use X for Chi and C for
ksi. I can understand why one would use C for Ksi because of the sound
similarity, but this is a sight medium and I prefer the sight similarity of X
and Chi. Since Ksi has no look-alike, C is as good as any other English letter
to represent it. I'm sorry if this presents problems but I intend to stick
with it anyway. To me it just makes better sense.

May the contemplation of the incarnation of the Son of God made flesh instill
in you steadfast faith, lasting joy, unshakeable peace, and sure hope of
heavenly splendor.

Rev. Craig R. Harmon.

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."