John 1:18 MONOGENHS QEOS

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1997 - 09:18:24 EST

John 1:18 says:

John 1:18 QEON OUDEIS hEWRAKEN PWPOTE: MONOGENHS QEOS hO WN EIS TON KOLPON
TOU PATROS EKEINOS EXHRHSATO

This has to uses of QEOS without the article, but the second, MONOGENHS
QEOS, is particularly interesting! I am not positive what the best
translation is, but I think there are some clear contextual constraints on
its interpretation:

1. QEOS has to be definite in these verses, and can be neither indefinite
nor qualitative;

2. This verse asserts that there is one definite entity that was in the
bosom of the Father, who has revealed God to us, and who is MONOGENHS QEOS.

Some later manuscripts do add the article (hO MONOGENHS QEOS), in which
case "the only begotten God" seems to be the right translation. Without it,
Robertson suggests the translation "God only begotten". Are there other
ways to interpret this?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine