Re: The article for abstract nouns

From: Rolf Furuli (furuli@online.no)
Date: Thu Jan 01 1998 - 08:19:14 EST

Dear Jonathan,

Reading my post, I saw that I described the terms "definite/indefinite" but
did not define them. I suggest the following privative definition of the
two semantic concepts: "A noun which is already mentioned ("the man"
referring to a previous mentioned man),which is known ("the grass"
mentioned after "going outside"), or, which is a particular exemplar of
something ("my wife", "that girl", "Peter") are definite. All other count
nouns which are not inherrently qualitative are indefinite."

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo¬