TOIS TOU, TA TOU

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Jan 01 1998 - 09:45:20 EST

While we are on the subject of things I don't understand about the article,
I have two more questions:

1. TOIS TOU

In Luke 2:49, Jesus says:

Luke 2:49 OUK HDEITE hOTI EN TOIS TOU PATROS MOU DEI EINAI ME?

How does this get translated into "in my father's house"? How is TOIS to be
understood in this context?

2. TA TOU

In many places, the neuter plural article seems to mean "the things" in
general, without any antecedent, e.g.:

Matt 16:23 hOTI OU FRONEIS TA TOU QEOU ALLA TA TWN ANQRWPWN
Matt 22:21 APODODE OUN TA KAISAROS KAISARI KAI TA TOU QEOU TWi QEWi
Rom 2:14 hOTAN GAR EQNH TA MH NOMON ECONTA FUSEI TA TOU NOMOU POIWSIN
Rom 8:5 hOI GAR KATA SARKA ONTES TA THS SARKOS FRONOUSIN, hOI DE KATA
PENUMA TA TOU PNEUMATOS
1Cor 2:11 TIS GAR OIDEN ANQRWPWN TA TOU ANQRWPOU EI MH TO PNEUMA TOU
ANQRWPOU TO EN AUTWi? hOUTOS KAI TA TOU QEOU OUDEIS EGNWKEN EI MH TO PNEUMA
TOU QEOU.

I don't remember seeing a discussion of this in the grammars when I read
through the sections on the article. Is there a good discussion of this
somewhere? Am I interpreting it correctly?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons