Re: Mounce: hO LOGOS HN QEOS

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 10:25:30 EST

At 07:54 AM 1/2/98 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>Yes, and in Classical Attic, at least, I think that's the reason why the
>predicate word tends to be first.

Hmmm...if I put both the subject and the predicate before the copulative
verb, does the predicate still come first? Consider these sentences:

1. KAI hO LOGOS QEOS HN
2. KAI QEOS hO LOGOS HN *

My intuition, which has 40 years less experience than Carl's intuition,
says that #2 is not grammatical, but #1 is perfectly reasonable Greek.

Does this match the intuitions of more experienced Greeks?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons