Re: Rom. 4:18

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 14:18:58 EST

On Thu 8 Jan 98 (07:40:05 +0200), wd@isis.co.za wrote:
> In Rom. 4:18 we have the translation from NASB "In hope against hope"
> for PAR ELPIDA EP ELPIDI. Out of my 4 resources BAGD and Thayer suggest
> that EP ELPIDI is a kind of dative of support. Translated it could then
> read "In hope, on the basis of (or supported by) hope." Most
> translations, in fact all those that I am using regularly, suggest the
> translation of "against hope" in some form. The only translation that
> gives it the way that BAGD and Thayer suggested is Wuest's Expanded
> Translation. Is there any real evidence that the translation could be
> "against", or should it definitely be something like "supported by?"

 PAR' ELPIDA EP' ELPIDI refers to Abraham and Sarah's "hope" to have a son
 and heir. Because of their advanced age, it was "hoping against hope" for
 Sarah to conceive and bear a son. Physically their "hope" was zero, but
 spiritually, in faith, it was a certainty.

 This construction reminds me of CARIN ANTI CARITOS in John 1:16, hOTI EK
 TOU PLHRWMATOS AUTOU hHMEIS PANTES ELABOMEN *KAI CARIN ANTI CARITOS*.
 Grace *upon* grace (in addition); and/or Grace *for* Grace (New covenant
 Grace in substitution for Old covenant Grace).

 So in Abraham's case, his old Hope, so long dashed, is reinforced with
 new confidence and assurance. Against PARA human hope, or Alongside EPI
 human hope, he adds, or substitutes, or sets in contrast, new spiritual
 hope.

 JA Bengel, the "commentators' commentator", comments ad loc.:

 "18. PAR' ELPIDA EP' ELPIDI EPISTEUSEN, past [against] hope believed in
 hope) We lay hold of one and the same object both by /faith/ and by /hope/;
 /by hope/, as an object of joy, which for certain can and will be realized.
 /He believed in the hope/ of the promise, /past [beyond, 'praeter'] the
 hope/ of reason, [which reason would have suggested]. PARA and EPI, /past/
 [against] and /in/, the particles opposed to each other, a striking
 oxymoron." (/Gnomon/, E.T. AR Fausset, Edinburgh, 1859, vol 3, p 60).

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>