Re: Cyberhermeneutics

From: james jones jr. (j32@geocities.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 19:49:35 EST

> From: JUAN STAM <jstam@una.ac.cr>
>
> Last September's CHRISTIANITY TODAY had a thought-provoking article on
> Cyberspace by Douglas Groothuis of Denver Seminary. He comments on the
> danger than cyberexegesis may lead some to use the Bible •n a manner that
> "divorces Scripture from its literary genre and contextal meaning. I can
> run a program that gives me a host of texts on say *righteosness*, but the
> program cannot present the meaning of each text in its context"
> Is there a real danger that computer use can foment either proof-texting or
> the kind of word-study exegesis that James Barr attacked? How can this be
> avoided?

Such is not a danger posed only by "cyberexegesis," but most verse
memorization techniques, the typical sermon and Bible lesson, and a
host of other hermeneutically paradigmatic activities to which
Christians are regularly exposed.

The most effective antidote for proof-texting is a steady diet of
preaching and teaching that is deeply sensitive to the muli-layered
context of every biblical proposition and pericope. It would also
help were more of our teachers to discover and disseminate directly
to their students the invaluable and corrective insights to be gained
from texts about hermeneutics and theological method written by
people like Gordon Fee, Grant Osborne, Anthony Thiselton, J. Ramsey
Michaels, D.A. Carson and others of like mind.

Could say more, but i think i've made my point.

Until next time...

james jones jr.
Detroit, MI USA
j32@geocities.com