Re: Mt 28:1--OYE DE SABBATWN...

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 18:22:58 EST

Revcraigh@aol.com wrote:

> Now another question. What is the significance (if any) of the plural number
> of SABBATWN?
>
> I believe that it is primarily this aspect which leads the radio teacher of
> whom I speak to the conclusion to which he comes: "At the end of the Sabbaths,
> at the beginning of the Sabbaths"=the end of the O.T. Sabbaths and the
> beginning of the N.T. Sabbaths (that this refers not just to the Sabbath
> [sing.] just past and to the week to come but to all of the Sabbaths which
> have gone before and which are to come).
>
> Far be it to argue with Thayer and Bauer/Arndt/Gingrich, I just would have
> liked a little discussion on the significance of number here. Can anyone
> oblige me?

I believe that the plural ending -WN does not necessarily reflect a plural in the
case of the word for Sabbath (or "Saturday" or "week"). Note that Matt 28:1 goes
on to say EIS MIAN SABBATWN... clearly indicating "one Sabbath" or "one week" in
the singular.

Best!
George Athas
 < gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au > Ph: 0414 839 964 (ICQ #5866591)
 (PhD Candidate, University of Sydney)
 (Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College)
(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)