Re: Papyrus Discovery Update

From: Rod Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 04 1998 - 07:07:32 EST

The most recent note (cited in part below) adds a few details, but we still
need some more definitive info. If anyone locates anything else, please
forward it to the list. In particular I'm very curious to know something as
to the accuracy of the description of these papyrus documents as "scrolls"
(i.e., are they really scrolls, single sheets, or codices?) and the dates
involved (other than the dates of the town itself)--though I'd assume that
this allows us to narrow yesterday's reference to "the 4th C." to 4th C.
AD. I assume that the Toronto Star edition cited would be 2/1/98?

Rod

>The Toronto Star had the following this past Sunday:
>
>CAIRO (AP) --Canadian archeologists have unearthed about 2,000 papyrus
>scrolls that date to the era when ancient Rome ruled Egypt, says the
>country's chief archeologist.
>unearthed a Roman town built during the reign of Emperor Nero in an area
>called Esment el-Kharab, near the Dakhla oasis, 550 kilometres southwest
>of Cairo. Nero ruled from A.D. 54 to 68. Egypt was a Roman province from
>about
>30 B.C. to A.D. 395, when Byzantine rule began and continued to A.D. 640.

 Rodney J. Decker Baptist Bible Seminary
 Asst. Prof./NT P O Box 800
 rdecker@bbc.edu Clarks Summit PA 18411
 http://www.bbc.edu/courses/BBS/RDecker/
 ^This link ~may~ be working--but it was down last I checked :(
 There will probably be a different URL soon.