2 Macc 7:14

From: Kevin Anderson (crossroads@sprynet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 22:10:21 EST

I am having a bit of difficulty in unravelling the following portion of 2
Macc 7:14:

hAIRETON METALLASSONTAS hUP' ANQRWPWN TAS hUPO TOU QEOU PROSDOKAN ELPIDAS
PALIN ANASTHSESQAI hUP' AUTOU

I presume that hAIRETON is a verbal adjective indicating necessity, "one
must choose." After some head-scratching, rifling LSJ (which was of little
help), and a search of occurrences in the LXX, I also discovered that
METALLASSW is invariably used in 2 Macc to refer to death. Hence: "one must
choose dying at the hands of men...." But then does one take the following
infinitive PROSDOKAN as purposive (or consecutive?): "one must choose dying
at the hands of men in order to expect the hopes [given] by God to be raised
again by him." Or is the choice between two coordinate things?: "one must
choose dying at the hands of men [and] the hopes [given] by God to expect to
be raised again by him."

I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give me.

Kevin L. Anderson
Ph.D. Student
London Bible College/Brunel University
Reading at Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY