RE: Questions re: LXX

From: Carl William Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 08:25:58 EST

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, James Ernest wrote:

> Far be it from me to discourage you from buying the books mentioned
> by Maurice O'Sullivan, which are classics and still worthwhile; but if
> you're looking for a brief, recent point of entry you should check out
> as a starting point you should read the Anchor Bible Dictionary article
> and the article by Emanuel Tov in Mikra (CRINT 2/2). The IDB article
> is several years older but probably still worthwhile. I can't remember
> and don't have it here, but I think it may have written by John Wevers
> or perhaps Tov, either of whom cd plausibly be nominated for the title
> of Mr. Septuagint.

Not at all to disparage Mr. Septuagint, but just to call attention to
another little work which may possibly not even be in print any more:
Ralph Klein, _Textual Criticism of the Old Testament from the Septuagint
to Qumran_. I knew Ralph when he taught (as a colleague of Edgar Krentz)
at our neighboring institution here, Concordia Seminary.

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018