RE: politeia

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 16:21:48 EST

At 10:19 AM 2/12/98 -0800, Cooper Greg wrote:

>What would you have said to Christ when He was overturning the tables
>of the money changers or blatantly, publicly calling people whited
>sepulchers?
>
>Shhhhh.....Jesus.....shhhhh.....your words are inflammatory!!!

There's a time and a place for overturning the tables, and it is also
important to carefully examine your own heart to make sure you are in the
right, since the Pharisees said things just as inflammatory as what Jesus
said. And of course his inflammatory words, aimed at the Pharisees, have to
be balanced with his teaching in the Sermon on the Mount and with other
biblical teachings on wisdom, speech, and relationships.

B-Greek is a place to carefully ask ourselves what biblical texts mean, and
that requires careful listening. It's kind of hard to listen carefully to
the texts with all those tables flying around, so we observe special rules
to make it possible to pay better attention to the text.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons