Re: Photos

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 18:37:58 EST

At 03:20 PM 2/19/98 -0600, Burt Rozema wrote:
>Colleagues:
>
>Can someone suggest to me a source for color photographs of NT
>manuscripts? I recently saw a color photo in a magazine that very
>nicely brought the look of papyrus (P75). But there was no photo
>credit. The affect of seeing it in color vs a black and white like
>Metzger, for example, was quite striking. My interest is not in any
>particular mss, just a sample of papyri, uncials, and minuscules for
>second year Greek students to get a flavor of reading them, but in
>living color.
>
>Any suggestions?

Here's a repost from an earlier message on B-Greek, taken from our archives:

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:28:49 -0500

Here are two web sites dedicated to papyrology. The first is the
Duke papyrus archives; the second is associated with University
of Michigan:

http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/papyrus/texts/homepage.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jmucci/papyrology/

Brown University has a page on textual criticism which contains several
such images. You can see the table of contents here:

http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/

One of their exercises involves John 1:3 - should it read OUDE hEN, or OUDEN?
They show the images of this text in various manuscripts of different types:

Alexandrian text type:

http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_pap66.html
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_pap75.html
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_codexv.html

Western text type:

http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_codexs.html
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_codexb.html
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_codexw.html

Byzantine text type:

http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_codexa.html
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_codex666.html

Here are the text critical questions they suggest you use:

http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/tc_con.html

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no