Re: Rev 22:17--who ERCOU?

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 22:13:05 EST

On Thu 19 Feb 98 (06:09:22), spedrson@juno.com wrote:
> Are there any structural or grammatical indicators that would explain
> the recipients of the imperatives in Rev 22:17? I'm thinking
> specfically here of the two ERCOU's. (The others are pretty
> straightforward, or so it seems.) Contextually, it seems to be a tough
> call, since both the idea of the Lord's coming and the invitation for
> the thirsty to come are expressed.

 Dear Trevor,

 ISTM that these ERCOUs are addressed to hO ERCOMENOS (IDOU ERCOMAI TACU,
 verse 12; NAI, ERCOMAI TACU, verse 20a). The writer echoes earnestly AMHN,
 ERCOU *KURIE IHSOU* (verse 20b).

 So, ERCOU is addressed by the Spirit and the Bride to the Groom, who responds
 IDOU [NAI] ERCOMAI TACU. The reader (hearer, hO AKOUWN) is urged to join in
 the earnest plea to the Groom to "come": EIPATW, ERCOU (verse 17b).

 Verse 17c has another subject, hO DIYWN. Here is the final Gospel call to
 the unsaved bystander: hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHS DWREAN
 (cf Isaiah 55:1-2 LXX: hOI DIYWNTES POREUESQH EF hUDWR,.... KAI ZHSETAI EN
 AGAQOIS hH YUXH hUMWN).

 ERXESQW is addressed to the uncommitted bystander who is hungry and thirsty
 for righteousness. He is invited too! Let him "RSVP" without delay, or it
 will be too late! NAI, ERCOMAI TACU!

 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF